I miss food from home, and I don’t like most of the food here. Good stuff is possible to find, but well hidden… I’m probably spoiled at home, but this is the other end of the spectrum.
Food smells are one thing in cubicle areas, but smelly cosmetics used at random times during the day are possibly just as disturbing.
Cubicle life gives you unnecessary insight into other occupant’s private life. I know who is trying to date who, who is looking for a new apartment, etc. I am very reluctant to use the phone…
Staying up late to fight over the phone with administration and civil servant is not my idea of a nice evening. And going straight to bed after that was an excellent recipe for insomnia.
Someone apparently tried to break in our apartment back home; the cousin currently living there had to change the lock and all. Fortunately the attempt was unsuccessful and no one actually went in (apparently). But it’s not nice to be away and useless. Crap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I've never been in a cubicle job. Own office is a luxury, I know, and I've been very lucky for most of my academic career to either be on my own or sharing with decent people.
Scary! Good thing someone was there to deal with things for you.
That is scary! I'm glad that no one got into your apartment.
There's an undergrad in the lab next to us (we share common space), who carries on loud phone conversations/arguments with various people. It's awkward.
Thanks! Indeed fortunately no one got in. That would have freaked me out, from a distance.
I used to share an office with a girl who would have big arguments on the phone with her boyfriend. I found it embarassing initially, and even considered leaving the room... but then decided that there was no reason I should bother. She could leave - or try not to argue in the middle of the day over minor things! She used to fall asleep after lunch quite a bit too, but that wasn't noisy!
Does that one part about the phone fight mean that you are living with some coworkers in the evening? I might find that awkward and not much fun after working with someone all day long.
SF: no, but I'm currently in a time zone so distant from the one where my base institution is that I need to make work calls in the evening; and when the calls involve rude people being unhelpful my patience is very limited!
Post a Comment