Let's face it, we're all addicted to our computers. And laptop users are probably the worst (or would that be iph*ne users??). So when someone is saying "my laptop broke down", surely, it should ellicit some empathy?
Why are people not expressing at least a bit of that, before switching on to the lecturing? "Tsk! you should have bought a Pear! They don't break" "Ah well, Random-Never-HeardOf-Brand are wAy better than Broken-laptop-brand". One of those people even had the cheek to go on to explain that a new laptop had just been ordered in case the oh-so-good computer they have breaks. "Cos you know, they can break whithout any warning".
Yeah, I do know, actually.
Anyway, the laptop company finally appeared on the scene (the uni IT guy got that desperate) and apparently the electric cable got wrecked, which can wreck the battery, which can wreck the whole thing. So now I have a new cable, and cross my fingers that I don't need to buy a new battery, because that of course drops out of warranty pretty much the moment you turn the bloody thing on.
These problems might have a few unforeseen positive consequences. I have now mostly switched to my desktop for work, and if I will most certainly use the laptop a lot still (in the office for lecturing and email, and at home to work... outside office hours) the desktop is more comfy and way bigger in terms of memory and stuff. Also, I have given up the idea that I *must* bring my laptop back home all the time. There's loads of stuff I can do without it (a fair bit of lecture prep, reading, writing, things like that), and well, ahah I can non-work!!
All that being said, just before all this happened I had followed a time management training, but this unexpected event messed up with all my good plans. But, promise, I'll get back to it.
Tuesday, 10 February 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think people lecture because they are in denial. If they tell you that your problem was because you chose the wrong brand, it must mean that they are protected and in control because they chose the "right" brand. Ha!
I hope the new cord does the trick. I too think a desk top is more comfortable. I think the biggest hit I'd take is blogging, since I do that almost entirely at home on my laptop. I do very little real work on my laptop, come to think of it. Maybe that's not so good...
all you need is un-asked for advice! I hope you are up and running again soon!
egf: denial, yes, maybe!
ws: thanks.
Definitely denial. I know that all laptops break and that I'll be devastated when this one actually dies. I'm crossing my fingers that your new cord does the trick!
Post a Comment