Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Glamourous


Last weekend, after Husband and myself had worked way too much for a sunny weekend, we decided to go to the nearby park and have a picnic. As you can see, on the menu: gin&tonic and crisps. Mh, and very nice break in the beautiful weather. That was as much outdoors as my hay fever allowed me to have comfortably over the past week. Sneezing and itchy nose hell was unleashed tonight after I spent 15 minutes in the wind on a more countrysid-ish train platform. Stoopid me.
Two unrelated notes.
I have noticed that Students seem to mostly refer to themselves as "pupils". Isn't this weird? I think when I was a Student, I would have been so proud to refer to myself as a Student, and not a mere pupil. Pupil is for secondary school, no? No wonder they think we need to hold their hand all the time if they refer to themselves as pupils. Ahem.
I've helped my godson (for default of a better term, really, he shouldn't count on me for uncritical religious education) for preparing his english exam. They seem to be talking about way more glamourous stuff than I did when I was at school. A sample: Sharon Stone and the media, cosmetic surgery, speed dating. We were watching TV movies of Miss Marple stories.

3 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I was desperate to call myself a student rather than a pupil!

stepwise girl said...

You too! It's so much cooler, when you're 18- or 20, no?

EcoGeoFemme said...

I don't think I've ever used the word pupil non-ironically. So formal! Probably a U.S./Europe thing.