Dear oh dear. As I was wishing a good weekend to a grad student this Friday, she said that it was going to be a weekend busy studying for a big exam next week, I caught myself thinking this stupid thing: “Ah! Those happy days when working through a book or course notes and being able to figure them out was enough! Nice finite task!” (underlying thought: as opposed to know all the things for research: changing by the day; things to teach: what will the tricky question be? How to make this exciting?; things for administration: this is a well without bottom. And without a light. I feel like I’ll never get on top of it all).
Of course I very quickly bit my mental lip and slapped my mental hand for silliness.
I have a number of good memories of having to prepare exams. My mum was being extra spoiling, baking special stuff, being super tolerant of moods, and being generally very supportive. They were also times of sharing help and stress with people who are all still very good friends today, and some of them colleagues today.
But still. I mean. This thought was bad! I hope this student is doing well!
Sunday, 28 September 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
And here I prefer the research and teaching tasks. I must be insane, or just an academic.
That's the whole reason for it, right? Pity we end up being trapped in other things as well.
Post a Comment