Tuesday, 13 January 2009

My messages to the world this week

To people who stare at me in the train. I'm pretty sure there is nothing unusual about me. Please don’t stare, thanks.

To the PhD student who innocently tried to delegate something to me. Get a grip. I’m all for working together and not for a rigid hierarchy, but this does not include lecturers doing things that PhD can’t be arsed doing.

To the lady from the funding body who reopened the internet access for my soon-to-arrive PhD students so we could complete the funding application on time: THANKS!!

To the long-time friend who emailed me this week despite her mental partner preventing us from seeing each other: thanks for making the effort, I loved hearing from you, even if I’m dead worried about you. To her partner: you’re an asshole.

5 comments:

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

The first one made me smile. Kids always stare at me and it freaks me out. My husband thinks it's hilarious. I can only assume it's something to do with having very curly hair - but the wide eyes and open mouth get under my skin every time!

I hope your friend is OK

stepwise girl said...

Ahah maybe that's it: my hair is very flat! I don't get open mouth though.

Does that have anything to do with your deep dislike for the bus?

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Not really - there are very few kids on the bus during rush hour, thank goodness! It's the crush of people and the complete lack of personal space that get to me.

EcoGeoFemme said...

But it's so hard not to stare at people on the train! But I admit it's super awkward to get caught. The subway is the worst since there's nothing else at all to look at.

stepwise girl said...

EGF, Yes, it is... but as you say the trick is to not get caught... and if you do.. stop! (or look at someone else!)