Happy new year to you all!
I said I’d comment a bit on spending three months in another lab faraway. As I’m currently writing reports for the funding agencies that supported me for this… I feel some inspiration on that topic.
It was really nice being in another place, away from all the petty gossiping and all the big changes going on in my home institution. When you’re only there for three months, you don’t really compete with anyone, and especially so when you go to a group that has a slightly different discipline than yours. That was also a great thing, to hear a different scientific spiel for a while. I really learned and lot and got good inspiration. So away from instituional worries, a clean scientific mental slate, great work done.
This stay also did great for my network. I’m now a review-editor for a journal to which I can contribute. My expertise is currently not well represented in the group so that’s great and exciting too.
One thing I’d probably change, if I was there again, is that I’d keep tighter relations with the department of my discipline there, for seminars and sameness of mind frame and further networking etc.
Other than that it was fantastic being in a sunny location with beautiful nature right at hand. That was quite an experience, and even if I love everything about living in the city I live in (except dog poop on sidewalks and air pollution), I will miss right-in-your-face nature (but in a gentle manner). And I felt really lucky to be able to enjoy it with my husband there.
Tuesday, 6 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds wonderful.
I live in a city that makes nature difficult to access. It would be nice to experience in-your-face nature for a while.
Post a Comment