Sunday, 15 March 2009

A cake to celebrate...


... this novelty: students mispelling their own name on the cover page of a report.


OK, first I did not celebrate this, I just noticed, and the cake was even done before. I also noticed that they made not one but two mistakes in my name in the reference list. Mind you they did about 4 or 5 spelling mistakes on each page of this 22 pages report.
OK, since this was a group report, you can assume that it's someone else than the victim who made the mistake, but that does not make it any better.

I have so far read 1 out of 4 reports, but seemingly, 2 have overshot the page limit by about 30%... That's not good either. And I thought the page limit was high. But no. Of course if you repeat 3 times the same thing, it can take more pages.
How annoyed should you be at someone mispelling your name? I will admit that even here I have not the easiest-to-spell family name. But surely, that shouldn't be a reason. The other recent occasion someone mispelled my name was on the cover page for a report for a thesis comittee to which I attended. Ah, surely, it really is without any consequences, I wouldn't hold this against anyone. But is this an additional sign of faltaring basic mutual respect between individuals? (I must sound like a total old complainy hag).
Has anyone ever mispelled your name when they should have paid a bit of attention? (I'm not speaking restaurant reservation over the phone or shit like that) What did you think about it?

4 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

People frequently misspell my first name -- it has two common spellings -- and occasionally misspell my last name -- it has one common spelling (my way) and several relatively rare spellings. It doesn't bother me very much anymore, although it does make laugh when they respond to an email with the wrong spelling right next to my correct spelling. I only correct people if it will go in some sort of permanent printed record.

That said, I would expect someone to get it right on something like a thesis report.

stepwise girl said...

Having potential for mispelling in both parts!

Indeed, it only matters if it means you might not be indentified properly.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

People always call me Cathy. I don't know where they're pulling the y from, I neither speak it nor write it, but people always add it anyway.

If it's a one-off it's fine, if it's everyone, it's a problem.

stepwise girl said...

That's irritating...