
A few weeks ago we travelled to a place where the Science Gallery is having an exhibition about infectious diseases, but one that shows also links with arts.
The whole place is decorated as some emergency outbreak station and all the staff is wearing some sort of protective gear. When you enter you receive an electronic tag showing whether you are infected or not - and this is related to a display and depends on interactions between visitors.
There were some cool stuff there, but it lacked a thread through it all and some of the more scientific displays really lacked explanation or animation. Between Husband's and my vague knowledge of these things we could take some stuff out of it, but I wonder what the random non-scientist can really take out of it.
One of the cool things was a mini-lab there taking DNA samples from visitors for an immunity study, which I thought was really cool - I'd never seen these things and these machines!
Here's my sample:

Still don't have the result though.
Many displays were pre existing things, such as this one that I think is really cool:
www.gemviz.org
4 comments:
Nice. Will you post the results when you have them?
I can but so far nothing has appeared... they have a backlog... (or so they say). They're checking for some gene related to immunity.
It's great to hear of people taking an initiative to promote science in innovative ways, even if they don't quite pull it off!
Absolutely. They almost made it, really. And we were happy we went, if only to get some of these: www.giantmicrobes.com
(I just saw they have swine flu... how's that for taking opportunities, ahem...)
Post a Comment