Thursday, 24 September 2009

Hello

that title tells you nothing right?

I have the great honour to have been designated volunteer for being "advisor on studies". I have the great pleasure and honour to advise the students on various choices of courses for various circumstances (in my discipline). It's lovely.

I get:
-emails with eloquent titles such as the one above;
-emails that are not signed;
-people mispelling my name (I'm used to that);
-emails with approx. 1 spelling mistake for every 5 words;
-people coming in my office with no appointment who just come in and don't even bother introducing themselves;
-students who expect you to do everything for them.

This is a sample.

So far I got 1 (One) who came in prepared with her list of classes, her time table and further info.

Tomorrow I have appointments with (I think) 4 (need to update agenda after list of pathetic emails).

This useless whinning coincides with the big head on all student related business sending an email to all the students in the university telling them among other things that chatting in class is disrespectful of the teacher as well as of other students. Yes, people. We need to send official reminders of this to all our students.

I try to avoid "In my days... " kind of talk, but I don't remember this happening when I was a student (Ah! we didn't have email for most my years anyway!). I did my bit of chatting when in class/lecture rooms but I stopped quite soon.

No comments: