Tuesday, 6 October 2009

On efficiency in meetings

Today I attended a meeting with the local national women in science thingy. I got really annoyed with the way the meeting was being led.

I do believe this girl knows better... still we spent considerable amounts of time on things:
- for which people's opinion had been asked repeatedly by email. YES we approve the last meeting's minutes!
- for which I'm really happy for the people in charge of a specific minor thing to make an executive decision.

Because in the end that leaves you with 20 minutes to take out of your hat a big thing that you've worked on without getting a chance to notify people. Don't let the meeting linger on stupid things if you've got this to show and it will actually require exchange of ideas and discussion.

This was frustrating.

My relative absence from these realms have been related to the fact that september ended up being way busier than I expected... this kind of time wasted does not help.

But there should be only one week left with student questions and business such as those I mentionned the last time... you'll get some moaning on that too, don't worry.

Next week though I'm headed to a mediteranean location for a week of conference in a golden cage. Is anyone else going there? F*ck! I thought it was going to be around 20°c there this time of the year, but it's 30°c! Need to review my packing plans...

2 comments:

hgg said...

don't complain, people are already scarping their windscreens of ice before getting into their cars in the morning up here!

stepwise girl said...

Oh, I'm not companing! Actually seeing this has slightly raised my low motivation to go there...