What makes a conference successful (for someone attending)?
-the number of new contacts made?
-the number of old contacts refreshed?
-the number of talks attended?
-the number of talks you'll actually remember?
-the number of people who came and saw your poster / talk?
-the number of people who spoke to you about your poster / talk?
-the number of manuscript reviews you'll be getting after talking to someone who is also a journal editor?
-the number of business cards you handed out?
-the number of pages of the Millennium you managed to read?
-the number of potential new collaborations that came up?
-the number of times you used the hotel's pool?
-the number of free drinks you had in the all inclusive? (or slices of pie, ice cream, or any other indulgence)?
-what combination of these?
I think I didn't scored too badly on those indicators (meaning I spoke to a fair number of new people, but did not have an outrageous number of drinks or ice cream!). Now I want to go back home. The wifi really sucks here.
Anything else you can think of?
But I confirm: if dancing is involved I can be a party pooper. I seem to block over the idea of dancing with colleagues. Most of them anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wait..."a party fucked"? Is that a mistake or is it English English? What does that mean?!!?
I think all those things are signs of a successful conference. But I think the number of talks that change how you think about a topic is better than the number of talks you attended.
Glad it was a good trip!
Oh god. Must have been tired. I meant party pooper. I will correct that in the text. Ahem.
Indeed, the number of talks attented tells nothing about what you learned.
LOL! Now I get it. :)
Post a Comment