Saturday, 17 April 2010

Book: Who's afraid of Charles Darwin? Debating feminism and evolutionary theory by Griet Vandermassen

Just finished reading this fascinating book about how evolutionary theory can provide a robust framework for understanding how women have and are being considered and treated, and how a robust framework (something any other theoretical background have failed to prived, according to the author) is necessary if we are to tackle these issue in an efficient manner.

It was really interesting at many level, as the author reviews the tortured relationships feminists have had with science (something many of them have seen exclusively as a male biased enterprise - but ignoring science's ability to progress and self correct, an element that is at its foundation), the way scientific production on evolution have been delt with by feminism, and finally, demonstrating how well evolution fits everything we're observing in human societies.

I have to admit I struggled at time as the writing was very philosophical - in it's argumentation and its writing, but it was interesting all along, and I'd definitely recommend it. It really overturned my vision (not very researched, admittedly) and gave me lots of food for thought.

No comments: