Saturday, 17 April 2010

Skype etiquette

Have any of you seen that episode of Curb your enthusiasm where they discuss the phone cut off time?

The idea is that after a certain time in the evening, you're not supposed to ring people up, it would be rude. The thing is what is that time?

You could discuss the same thing with Skype.

I tend to only switch skype on if I think I'm going to use it. There are several reasons for this, one is that I find it is just one more distraction and 'thing' in the way, but another is that some people among my contacts use it (even more) liberally than the phone.

Sometimes I put Skype on relatively late at night, say later than 9.30pm or 10pm, because I happen to work with someone who is in a time zone very far from mine, and we have no other option than late at night/early morning - which always suck for one of us. Which means that I sometimes get someone ringing me -sorry, skyping me- unexpectedly (if not unpredictably) at that silly time in the evening when I'd rather not be in front of my computer.

People would never do that with the phone, even if it's always "on", so what makes it alright to do it with Skype?

One of those silly inconsequential things that bug me.

Other than that: a cloudless sky with the European airspace mostly closed, make for an incredibly BLUE skye (despite the ash, interestingly) today!

4 comments:

hgg said...

Switchh your status to invisible and just text your collaborator to check if they're online. Works a treat for me

stepwise girl said...

Ah! so I'm not the only one to have that problem then?

Well, thanks for the tip, will remember it.

hgg said...

by the way, a very late thanks for the card from Western Scandiwegian Town. It just re-appeared in the mess I'm trying to declutter :)

stepwise girl said...

Oh, my pleasure!
Good luck decluttering!