One of the things I’m a trying to do while on the Long Stay Abroad is to talk to as many people as possible, especially Experienced And Sensible People Whom I Can Learn From.
The other day I met with a fantastic lady. I wish I could meet her more often. Where to start?
We are from the same relatively narrow field of study. Not just from the same discipline, not just having similar object of study. No. The same postage stamp of scientific research. OK, maybe in the series “Birds”, we’re different birds, but we were printed on the same page. I don’t nearly often enough meet such people.
We discussed freely more general issues like working with developing countries and transition countries, when one comes from a country that was rather at the other side of the fence for the past century. This is an issue that’s been bugging me, and I think that it is something that does not get discussed enough among scientists. I think especially when it comes to sensitive environmental issues that have a social component… people’s right to self determination could not be over emphasized. Same stands for many many fields of research.
She is a woman who did her PhD in a male dominated environment and did absolutely crazy field work. She is opinionated on the topic (ah! What else would you be in her position), and keen on sharing with hum, little stepwise girl who wants to be an actor in that matter too. I told her how I was sometimes horrified by stuff I hear from people my age, and she told me she thought all things considered, not as much progress as she was hoping had been achieved.
I wish I could meet her more often! I must keep in touch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Excellent! I'm glad that you were able to meet such a great "Candidate model!"
Thanks!
Hmmm... how do you achieve this as an adult now that "will you be my bestest friend?" is no longer an option?
Look for their faebook page? Send them invitations with smileys?
Yes, especially when the person in question is head of an institute and extremely busy and travelling a lot... That was also something that amazed me though: she's quite open and "accessible".
I guess I'll have to jump on all occasions I get to meet with her. She will be at a conference where I go in a few months, hopefully my next chance!
Post a Comment