Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Whatever happened to sharing the work

So I went to the field with the team here at the long stay abroad.

There were three assprofs or profs; three grad students; three family members (age range 3-33). (lots of 3s here).

Husband was one of three family members. Him and myself did about 80% of cooking duties. The rest was done by other prof; assprofs/profs did 100% of the dishwashing.

Grocery shopping was more evenly shared – although students were mostly involved in shopping for beverages –alcoholic or not.


H and I were flabbergasted. We could not imagine the same situation in our days as student. I was trying to picture myself watching my advisor doing the dishes… couldn’t.

Although I am somewhat picked by the idea that students did not participate much in chores, I am mostly disturbed by the idea that some people did everything and others did nothing. This is wrong. I can tell you, if these had been my students, I would have freaked out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Stepwise Girl,

Yes. I'd be über-piqued. This is the new investigators' (i.e. grad students') chance to show they can contribute. There's a book by M. Hustad called How to be useful. The non-contributing field trip team members need that book.

I can see how, as a visitor, you may not have said anything in the situation. But who was in charge? They're not doing a very good job of helping their students learn how to play well with others.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Oh man, I'd have been posting job schedules after the first few days!

Although my PI did once insist on doing all the cooking and cleaning on a lab day out on his friend's boat. I think he just felt guilty about all the seasickness that was going on (not me, I'm reasonably good on boats. In fact I was eating his chicken curry and drinking his beer while other people were hanging off the sides...)

stepwise girl said...

That's the thing: It's good if everyone contributes, it can be good team building. But SHARING is the key word!

Cath: Sounds like you are indeed very er... adaptable to all sorts of circumstances? ;)