What can I say? I've had loads of idea, and by no means have given up on this. Just February has been really busy.
I'm trying to kick two manuscript out the door - I really need them because I am being assessed by the university this year to convert my temporary contract into a long term one.
But most of all, I have had to deal with my first major human resources management crisis. One of my PhD student has left and left me with a project with two years left and not result. For what the person told me I did nothing specifically wrong. One of the reasons mentionned though was the crappy atmosphere of the department, something I might have given up on some time ago for various reasons. So in that way I feel like there is something I could have done. On the other hand, I am not sure the person would have coped with the competition characteristic of academia, as that seemed to be also amoing the issues mentionned.
What did I learn in this?
-If I notice someone's enthusiasm decreasing over an extended period of time (>1 week maybe?) I'll talk to them to see what's wrong and what can be done.
-I want to try to be proactive to improve the atmosphere by eg keeping my office door open more often, by encouraging people to go to coffee break etc.
-If people are absent I will call them rather quickly and take the administrative measures I can to make sure they're not pulling my leg.
So positive but also 'enforcing' measures here. Seemingly not everyone is trying their best to keep everything in order...
AH yes and I'm back into teaching mode, too. So plenty enough to keep me busy... I have decided that I will no longer put up with hidden under the table texting. I have already made it clear twice, and will probably need to do it again...
And I'll leave you with a nice picture I took as I was visiting a friend abroad in January.
3 comments:
ouch, sorry to hear about the disappearing student. ridiculously busy here as well... but at elast I've managed a week of holiday (i.e. bringing computer back to the parent's house...)
What a bummer that you had a student leave. Do you think you'll be able to find a replacement to finish the funded project?
hgg:hope the holiday was a bit relaxing and efficient for the time that had to be allocated to work!
egf:it's not a great time of the year, we'll see. The funding agency was relatively understanding.
thanks for your nice words anyway!
Post a Comment