I think I'm a feminist. I'm in a no way a specialist of the sociological details of it and I guess the only definition of it I can give is the one that I have for myself:
-I think women should be given equal opportunities;
-I think both women and men can aspire to combine career and private life, together;
-I think women should not be restricted by other people's preconception of what their role *should*be.
Recently, I became more involved in my country's association of women in science. I had a very interesting discussion yesterday with one of their early members (the association has been going for about 8 years). She was telling me how she wasn't initially aware of the whole "women in science" issue, but that being in the group, she learned about them, why it is important. Now, without being particularly vocal about it, she says she has learned to deal with certain situations and has become aware of a problem she thinks is real.
Monday I had dinner with a very very good friend of mine. She's a young professor and recently divorced with two small children. She's having a tough time with some people in her close family who expect to be more present for the children (she's doing just as well there as the average working mother - let alone on one's own). These people just won't recognize work she has to do to remain on top of things (although they do for her professor brother in law). As I was telling her she should really join the association, she asked me "but aren't feminist a bit against men?". This is definitely not something I can identify to; I tried to explain it to her. But obviously I failed at portraying a more positive aspect of being a feminist. I never really thought, actually, that I might need to explain to her.
Are some of us feminists without knowing it?
Is it not necessary to be a feminist to be aware/concerned of feminist-related issues? Can it be helpful to access such frame of thought?
Still have to work on my stuff I guess.
Thursday, 31 July 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think there are many different kinds of feminisms available. Most people who advocate for any sort of women's rights could find company in feminist circles. However, I don't necessary believe that one must be attached to a feminist ideology to advocate for women's rights.
Sure, there are loads of versions... and surely you can be a feminist "withouth knowing", so to speak. But to what extent knowing more can help you formulate and make more progress?
I think EGM used to think that feminist = man hater. I'm he has learned that they don't have to go together.
Feminists are not man haters. In fact, after Hubby learned (through me) to notice the messed up things that happen to women in our field, I think he has become a bit of a feminist himself. Demanding equality for women doesn't degrade the men.
Post a Comment