Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Another thrilling experiment in the kitchen



This weekend I got around to make one of my favourite sweet things in the world: caramel slice (aka millionaire). They are readily available in the UK but I have never seen them here. They are fantastic: a thick layer of shortbread, with then a layer of onctuous caramel, topped with a crunchy layer of chocolate. Butter and sugar-o-rama. They are great. But recipes are difficult to come around - or at least recipes that seem to work. My previous attempt had liquid caramel instead of onctuous, and that was not good at all. This time, the caramel was almost right, and the rest was fine. Fortunately I managed to distribute most of them to my parents and some friends, otherwise, I'd have eaten them all myself.

I think I could still improve:
-caramel texture and onctuousness,
-maybe replace dark chocolate by milk chocolate
-make a flat shortbread crust. Flat hands is not flat enough here.

Other than that, we visited my parents for Easter, and that was great fun.

No comments: