Saturday, 22 March 2008

Interviewing

The interview yesterday did not go badly, I think I managed it well, but I was so surprised by the questions that I am wondering if my application had not been rejected already when I got there, and that they thought they'd learn some useful things instead of getting bored with the usual stuff.

The thing is, after speaking to alumni of this organisation, I thought they would want to know why I selected the place and lab that I did, and why going to that specific place would bring more benefits than any other place (or no place at all).

Instead, I mostly got questions on my scientific project, which is fine, but none of the persons who interviewed me are specialist in my field - not even closely (although this is my assumption from the stuff they asked, because they were not introduced, which is bad, really). What they learned was either for their own curiosity or to see how good I am at making this understandable to other scientist.

Anyway, it was quite puzzling. And besides any pessimistic thought I can have about the outcome of this application, it's made me wonder to what extent you can prepare yourself for an interview. I am a great believer in preparing talks, but I'm not convinced you can really prepare for an interview.

Of course there is a number of things you can do -and should do-, like:
-learning a few basic facts about where you want to go/who you're talking to;
-know how to explain in a few catchy words your project;
-know the necessary scientific details to convince someone that you’re not just catchy words;
-prepare a few short things on what are your assets for a specific task/project.

Yet, I find that you also have to be "ready" for unexpected questions, because there is always going to be something you did not think of while preparing, and because of that, I think one should always consider their preparation as imperfect. If you keep that in mind, then when to inevitable unexpected questions comes up, you don't get blocked because you didn't prepare it. Instead, you can answer because:
-you know why you're there: you're there because you applied for something which means you filled in pages and pages of application, so you know what you’re talking about;
-your brain is in the right mode: flow of thoughts, not remembering stuff you prepared (which is going to be useless for the unexpected question).

I think the worse interview I did was the one for which I had worked most. And because it was over the phone (not helping either, that) I had spread all my notes in front of me... and couldn't lift my eyes and my brain off them.

I also remember my PhD examination: none of the questions I had prepared came out...

No comments: