Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Déjà vu

This is a story told so many times over and over... but I can't help but find it appalling... During a practical yesterday, a student asked a question and after the (female) TA showed the procedure on the computer, the student (very candidly) said "Oh so that's how to do this! So-and-so, the previous (male) TA never wanted to show me because it was useless since I am a girl!"

Of course, this was probably said on a "joking" tone... and, of course, questions from student can be tedious after several hours crammed in a computer room with unfocused students.

But.

I still find this:
-not funny at all
-inacceptable
-unhelpfull
-discouraging.

This is just one more anectode to the mount of stories showing that there is still a long way to go... if only to show these girls they can do it too...

1 comment:

Peggy K said...

I get frustrated when pundits claim that there are no obstacles for girls and women who are interested in pursuing science, when there are so many stories like this. It's usually passed off as a "joke", but it can be disheartening to have a teacher say that there is some inherent reason why you won't succeed, even if it wasn't meant seriously.