I would like to find a good book to learn how to use R. So far I have been using SAS, mostly using codes, so I'm not too scared by learning lines and commands, but I'd like a good reference for it.
Any suggestions?
Friday, 2 May 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I haven't tried to learn R yet, so I don't have first-hand experience, but I know there are some online discussion boards and a new listserv devoted to it. Email me if you'd like more info.
Also, I think hypoglycemiagirl had a very similar post a couple of months ago.
'allo,
there are planty of R books out there and which books to choose depends what you want to do and what level you're at. Peter Dahlgaard's "Introductory Statistics with R" is a very basic book and also Crawley's "Statistics: An Introduction using R". That will give you good introductions to basic programming and analyses. The cran web sites also have tutorials.
I have also books more focused on statistics including R code for the examples. For instance "Linear Models with R", "Extending the Linear Model with R", "Generalized Additive Models: an introuction with R" etc. New ones are added as I type probably.
Haven't really started using R for real yet, still quite happy with SAS and learning more and more of it's features every day.
We're maybe in a similar sort of place then: SAS can be quite powerfull if you learn to use it so that once you've invested that much time in it... going back to scratch with something else is a bit of a pain. Especially when time counts. Thanks for the tips though. I'll try to look into them.
Post a Comment