Yesterday I went to meet with potential new collaborators. We’re currently investigating various ideas of stuff we could do together, and we’re going to look for funding, and hopefully find somewhere to submit a nice proposal for an innovative interdisciplinary study.
One of the three persons present at the meeting is a lady of respectable age, just one year from retiring and she really gave me a boost. She’s all for trying things and being ambitious and daring. “Especially when one is young like you!”. This was so nice and refreshing to hear. This wasn’t about not being realistic: this was about actually having original ideas and a whish to test them. And about knowing that when you submit something the worst that can happen is to be turned down, which isn’t really serious.
She really gave a nice kick to current gloomy perspectives in terms of possible funding. And she’s probably the top specialist in this possibly somewhat obscure area of research (if not being top of the list of funding agencies of various sorts is a criterion for being obscure). She’s so driven, it’s brilliant! Really inspiring. One year from retirement and still curious! I hope I am like that. I bet curiosity and success are related, obscure field or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay for inspiring connections!
It's very cool that you met an inspiring collaborator you can look up to!
That's awesome. Not only did you meet an inspiring collaborator, but a female role model! I'm jealous!
Post a Comment