Sunday, 15 June 2008

Ooh, so you can’t cope, huh?

We’ve hired a cleaning lady, and she started last week. It was absolutely fantastic to arrive at the weekend thinking that non-work time could be allocated to stuff other than cleaning the bathroom. Like having friends over and bake biscuits. After all, we can afford it (the government is covering part of the expense via unemployment schemes), and it will significantly improve our daily life.

I did expect some remarks or nasty looks meaning “tsk! She’s (household related issues are still blamed on women, come on) got no children, only an apartment and she needs help with the cleaning??” But not from my brother, who opened that series on Friday. It was a “joke” of course, which instantly turned into a battle of the busy schedule* (both our faults there).

It really pissed me, because it is none of his business. What difference does it make that he or I work late at night more often? We both work a lot, and it would not cross my mind to say such a thing if he was to do the same. He should drop the “teasing older brother” attitude when it comes to personal choices and life situation.


*: I’d like to come back to this at some point, but just a remark for now: this is one of my recurring meditations: people are SO busy. We’re all busy. But some people tend to say “I have no time” or “I’m too busy” more often than others. Are they the busiest? In a way, saying such a thing implies that you assume you are busier than the person you’re talking to…

7 comments:

hgg said...

as soon as I can afford it, I'll do the same!

Amanda said...

That sounds like heaven. Time to do other things!

stepwise girl said...

Yes. We'll see how it goes, but this weekend, it really made a difference.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

We just started using a cleaning lady too. It's great, although we do have to scramble to tidy up the night before she comes! We might ask her to come once a week rather than once every two weeks at some point.

stepwise girl said...

We also have her once every two weeks for now and we'll see how that goes. And indeed, the day before is a big rush to make the place "cleanable". I guess that can be put in the "positive consequence category"...

ScienceGirl said...

I used to be the cleaning lady when I desperately needed to make some extra money (shittiest job ever, by the way). Perhaps some day I will be able to afford to pay someone to clean for me - and I am sure Hubby will be just as happy to have less chores as well.

stepwise girl said...

I would not like to do it either, and so am grateful that some people are willing to do it... I try to be a nice "boss"...