So last weekend we attended a wedding where we met lots of Husband’s friends that we don’t meet very often. And because this is probably our biggest news this year, The Long Stay abroad was mentioned quite a lot.
At this stage, I should mention that:
-Husband’s birth place is cold and wet (mostly, but I seem to always get some sun when I’m there!). My place (where we are) is only slightly less wet. Well it’s just a bit more continental.
-abroad where The Long Stay is going to be is tropical and sunny and by the sea.
How many times can one cope with comments such as “Ah! So you’re going there for “work”, right? (blink blink)”. Even said nicely. I mean, sure, it’s great, and I’m thrilled to go there, and it’ll be great to be in this exotic exciting place and that not many people get such opportunities… but, yes! I am going for W.O.R.K.!!
Ah well. Good thing we skipped the part about me going to a conference in another tropical location and possibly (hopefully!) fieldwork in yet a third tropical location in yet a different continent…
Generally I find people have contrasted reaction to the travels I or Husband do for work; ranging from "ah "work", right?" to "I'd never want to do all that travel to all those mysterious places!". Of people who scarcely travel, few see how lots of travel can interfere with a normal life...
Monday, 2 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love to travel. I, also, hate to travel a lot. There has to be a happy medium in there. I'd get annoyed over the "work" comments, too.
Exactly. For a single trip I also go through phases of excitement and whatever the opposite is. Maybe I should post on this.
Post a Comment