Tuesday, 10 June 2008

You’ll see when you’re 50.

You’ll see that :
-no undergrad gives a shit;
-that they cannot remember anything;
-that they are all obnoxious;
-you’ll hate them all and have good reason for it.

I summarize, but this is what someone told me today. How great a way to motivate people is that?

Is everybody that bitter when they’re 50? Are ALL undergrads obnoxious and not worth our effort? Should we ignore EVERYTHING they say? There are assholes everywhere, so I don’t see why students would be an exception. But everyone everywhere has to deal with SOME assholes. It does not mean they consider EVERYBODY to be assholes, is it? How can you be a good educator if you consider the people you’re speaking too in that way? And why wanting to have a more nuanced view should be stamped as naïve?

We can all be frustrated when dealing with assholes, but it’s just too fucking easy to tell people “you’re too young, you don’t know. You’ll see” and then to go on with such statements on *undergrads*.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I don't think it's ever a good idea to write off an entire group of people. Even if they are undergrads :-)

stepwise girl said...

Awful, isn't it?

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

I had some high school teachers that had similar views on all high school kids. Some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a classroom.

stepwise girl said...

wow, high school... What's bad too is that it's not going to help students make an effort with that person.