Saturday, 19 April 2008

A mad friday night

I intended to blog about Deep and Important stuff, but inspiration is sort of slipping away right now because of the crazy evening we had.

I went to see a theater play with my mum and a friend last night, from Bertolt Brecht, it was great.

After that we stopped at my place for some tea and then my mum and the friend and then they set off to drive back home. It was about 11pm, a very reasonable time. Five minutes later, my mum knocks on the door (I had taken one sock off at that stage, getting ready for bed), she couldn't start the car. Both myself and Husband give it a try, and it really didn't seem like it was going to start. At all.

I ask my mum "do you have an assistance contract?" "no". We try to ring dad. He was obviously deeply asleep. We call the friend's husband, he probably wasn't back home yet. We ring the neighbours, and they go and knock the hell out of my parents' front door (we learned later that my dad heard it but couldn't figure out what it was. At that stage my parents' mad yappy dog was probably barking its head off). We suggest they should get a taxi, or sleep with us (they're about 60 km from us). Then I offer to get a shared car and drive them back. We finally get in touch with my dad, convince him he shouldn't come and get them, that I'll drive them back. We go and fetch the car, which was not in the usual place, so we first thought that was that, but they have a night call-in service, so they could tell us where the car was. By the time I had gone and was about to pick everybody up, my dad had called back to tell my mum "you do have assistance! call them!". Whithin 15 min the guy was there, and making the diagnostic "Now ma'am, this is a serious problem!". "So you pick the car up and drive us back?" "No I bring your car somewhere. Don't you get a replacement car? " "I dont know!" (my mum can be a little absent minded about these things).

But eventually he did drive them and the car back, and we could go to bed at 1am.

I know, it's definitely not as exciting or dramatic as Wayfarer Scientista's Wildfire, or Alice's earthquake. Sorry.

I guess I'll give my mum a call now.

2 comments:

hgg said...

well, it was much more exciting than my Friday night I tell you!

Anonymous said...

Car troubles can be annoying. Glad that your mom got taken care of though.